Comprehensive Pediatric Care Smyrna
Our mission at our Smyrna pediatrics location is to ensure that children are both happy and healthy.
What is Comprehensive Pediatric Care?
Kids grow up so fast and because of that it’s important to check on their health every year. By making an appointment for a well-child checkup once a year you can know that your child’s health will be checked by a doctor you can trust.
Your child’s provider will focus on developmental milestones and look at how much your child has grown since your last visit. They will know more about your kids health history and be better able to answer your questions. Regular visits give the doctor a chance to find problems early and keep your child from getting sick.
What Happens at a Well-Child Check-Up Comprehensive Pediatric Care?
- The doctor will look at your child’s weight and height and figure out their body mass index (BMI) to see if they are growing normally.
- Checking blood pressure, heart rate, and breathing
- They will be checked from head to toe.
- They will get the vaccinations or immunizations they need.
- Your child’s doctor will ask you questions, talk to you about any worries you have, and give you advice about how your child is growing and developing.
- In addition to the items above your child will be evaluated in a different way depending on how old they are.
At a well-baby checkup, Comprehensive Pediatric Care your pediatrician will look for the following signs of growth and development and do a physical exam that includes:
- Making sure the baby is growing normally by measuring his or her weight, length, and head circumference.
- Check your baby’s head, ears, eyes, and mouth to make sure they are growing normally.
- Seeing if there are any birthmarks or rashes on the skin
- The doctor will feel for swollen organs or an umbilical hernia by pressing on your baby’s stomach.
- Checking your baby’s privates for signs of infection like pain, lumps, or redness
When your child is a toddler, the doctor will check his or her eyesight and hearing and ask questions to find out about your child’s mental, emotional, and social growth.
Your kids doctor Comprehensive Pediatric Care will ask the following:
- The general health of your child and family
- How your child acts when they meet new people
- How your child plays and acts around other kids
- Language, hearing, and social skills of your child
During a school-age checkup, the doctor will also ask questions to find out how your child’s mind, heart, and social life are growing such as the following:
- How much exercise your kid gets each day
- Sleeping habits
- Motor and language skills
- If your child is becoming more independent from you and other family members,
- Whether your child is learning how to read or how to solve problems,
As a teen goes through puberty, he or she goes through a lot of changes that should be looked at by a doctor for Comprehensive Pediatric Care your child is comfortable with. During the physical exam, your doctor will look for signs of alcohol, tobacco, or drug use, as well as depression. He or she will also talk with you about your teenager’s sexual health, such as:
- Sexual activities and the risk of unintended pregnancy
- sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
If they think it’s important, they will talk to your kid about birth control, abstinence, and sexual responsibility.
Girls might learn how to do a monthly breast exam, and their doctor might suggest a gynecological exam.
Boys could be checked for hernias and testicular cancer and shown how to do a self-exam on their testicles.
Write down any worries you have about how your child is growing and changing before your well-child visit. This is a great time to talk to your child’s doctor about his or her health. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, whether they are medical or not. The person who cares for your child can give you good advice on how to help your child learn and grow.
After Hours Smyrna Pediatrics
At our medical practice, a physician is always available to offer additional counsel in the event that either you or the nurse feel you require it. It is imperative that you make use of the pediatric nurses who are available 24/7 through your insurance provider. A good number of insurance companies staff their after-hours phone lines with pediatric nurses who have completed specialized education and training in their field. You’ll find the number on the back of your card. Be sure to keep it safe.