Stools For Occult Blood
A lab test called the fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is used to examine stool samples for undetectable blood (occult blood).
What is a Fecal Occult Blood Test?
When your child has a problem with the stomach, intestines, rectum, or another area of the gastrointestinal (GI) system, a stool (feces) sample can give doctors important information about what’s happening. To determine if there is blood in the stool is one of the most popular reasons to take a sample.
Bloody diarrhea is one of the many illnesses that can occasionally be brought on by hazardous bacteria or parasites. To identify the source of the issue, further testing and a microscopic examination of the stool may be required.
The fecal occult blood test (FOBT), a non-invasive procedure, is used to check the stool for blood. The test finds blood in the feces that cannot be seen with the naked eye, or blood that is hidden (occult). Any component of the digestive system, from the esophagus to the anal region, can produce blood. If a kid has experienced bleeding from the mouth, throat, or nose, blood seen in the stool may occasionally be the result of blood that was swallowed.
Why Fecal Occult Blood Test is Done?
A doctor might order a fecal occult blood test to check for blood that might be present because of things like:
- Allergies and Inflammation
- Gastrointestinal infection caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites
- Bleeding in the GI tract
How to Collect Stool Samples from Your kids
Here are some general instructions to collect a stool sample from your kids.
- Make sure to wear latex gloves
- If your child has diarrhea, you can use a hat-shaped plastic lid to collect the stool specimen in case of emergency bowel movement. Or you can place plastic wrap over the toilet seat. Plastic can be used to line the diaper of a toddler or infant who is not used to the toilet yet.
- Place the stool in a container given by the doctor.
- Make sure to bring the stool container right away to the lab once you take the sample.
- Wash your and your kid’s hands afterward.
The fecal occult blood test report is available within a day.
WHY CHOOSE US
State of the Art Machines and Technology:
We are equipped with the latest lab technology operated by an experienced pathologist to ensure accurate results. These machines used in the collection, testing and tracking has let us get quick delivery of test report. Moreover, we stay up to date with the progress in the field of lab technology so that we ensure you the latest development in diagnostics.
Highly Trained Staff:
We are backed by highly trained and professional lab technicians and pediatricians.
Most of our tests are done in-house so that we can ensure you the quickest results possible.